Today we celebrate the legacy of an American hero who helped lead the civil rights movement and brought about massive change though peace and discussion. Martin Luther King Jr. helped our country see beyond color and served as a beacon of light for all people to follow. His message of peace and unity helped mold our country and made the world a better place for all.
MLK taught the world to look beyond race and petty differences, and instead focus on that which unites us. Martin Luther King Jr. Day represents the promise of a better tomorrow and provides us the opportunity to honor and celebrate a humble man whose contributions to our society still reverberate through time.
I hope we all keep the words and the lessons taught by MLK close to our hearts and minds. As you can see from his wise words below, we could all stand to learn something from this remarkable person. I feel we could all benefit from understanding and appreciating King’s outlook and mindset, so I’ve included below a selection of some of my favorite MLK quotes that I feel encapsulates his persona and wisdom…
- “Love is the one force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.”
- “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
- “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
- “Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.”
- “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.”
- “Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows.”
- “A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus.”
- “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’”
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- “Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals.”
- “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”
- “We may have all come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now.”